Wednesday, December 22, 2010

An Evening on The Baird Sub Tuesday 12/14/2010

Well, I had some free time with the kiddos before I had to go pick up my wife at work so I ventured out on the UP Baird Sub.  I sat at Iona for what seemed like an hour and nothing went by.





Was so bored me and my son spotted a trash truck as it was kicking up dust on this windy late afternoon

Another shot of the garbage truck!

 UP 1982 Mopac Heritage loco was supposed to be closing in on the I-DiLbB-14 so i stuck around longer.  I kept hearing chatter on the scanner like switching was going on so i went out west to cpt 261.  I found a work train dropping bundles of ties along the R-O-W.  After remembering that a post was made on Railspot, I realized that they were working on the big tie replacement project on the line.

Finally after waiting for a train for almost 2 hrs, I spotted the work train with a c44-9 and a c41-8w.  Oh man was it moving slow, slower than walking speed.  This view was looking across a homeowners land with open fields for the back drop of the train.

Here we see it sllllooooowwwwlllyy rounding the bend as it continues dropping more ties.  This is a Cul-de-Sac I found and the homeowners were quite friendly too.


A closer look reveals the loco numbers, 9765 and 9538 a c41-8w. 

A few more shots of the locos and the train as it rounds the curve.
After listening to the scanner, the DS told the crew to start clearing the main since there were trains to run.  So, they disconnect the train except for 1st 2 cars and head to Aledo.
The 2 locomotives and 2 cars approaching the top of the hill to come into Aledo.

Finally after dropping the 2 cars off at the house track, the locos return light down hill to pick up their train and back into the siding at Iona.
Here we see them making reverse move. 
 A going away shot.
After he left, I headed back to Iona and I found a suprise waiting for me at the E Siding Switch.


I parked and got closer look with the permission of the crew of course.

Hope u enjoy rest of picts.  THanks for looking and please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment